Potential buyers get an impression of your home – either positive or negative – within 30 seconds of walking through the door. Having them see your home in tip-top selling shape is an absolute must.
There are countless ways to put the freshest face on your home, many of them costing little more than a bit of your time. Here are a few pointers for the most significant impact:
Outside: The Power of Curb Appeal
• Clear any clutter and keep lawn decorations to a minimum.
• Mow your lawn and trim shrubs.
• Add bushes and/or colorful flowers.
• Sweep sidewalks, porch and driveway.
• Remove or update any dated or personalized fixtures.
• Put all toys away.
• Fix damaged gutters, shutters, siding or roof shingles.
• Add a tasteful welcome mat to the front door.
• Clean all windows inside and out.
Leave your house while it's being shown to potential buyers. Your presence can make them feel anxious and awkward.
Write a letter about your neighborhood that I can share with potential buyers. Include information on local events, neighborhood amenities and other factors that define the community.
Inside: Leave No Trace
Clean everything! Check for cobwebs on ceilings, dust on baseboards – everything.
De-clutter. Then de-clutter again. Rent a storage locker if you need to. This is very important for increasing your home's appeal.
• Add a fresh coat of paint to the walls.
• Remove family photos and excessive wall decorations.
• Remove personal items, such as DVD collections and trophies.
• Replace worn carpets, and shampoo carpets that are dirty but still in good shape.
• Polish wood floors.
• Add fresh flowers or plants, but don't overdo it.
• Maximize your home's natural light by opening blinds and shades.
• Do a smell check and address any odors.
• Pet owners: Take Fido or Fluffy with you while your home is being shown.
I can provide additional advice on prepping your home, and also give you insights into the preferences of local buyers.
Goodies Handmade Candies is a small family-run business located in Spirit Lake, Iowa. Goodies has become a "must stop" place when visiting the area.
Goodies offers handmade candies, ice cream, coffee, and gifts. Each batch uses fresh quality ingredients and no added preservatives.
Customers from all over rave with remarks such as, "Goodies makes the best candies they have ever had."
Athletic Republic Spirit
1380 Lake St
Spirit Lake, IA 51360
Located behind Central Bank in Spirit Lake, just one block off of Hwy 9 and 71.
24 hour health club with free weights, machine weights, cardio machines, as well as kettle balls, battle ropes and more.
Athletic Republic and Levi Markwardt have developed a great reputation throughout the Iowa Great Lakes area for Adult personal training and Performance training for athletes.
Call for more info at 712-336-4040
Trappers Bay is nestled along the north shore of Silver Lake. It is a nice quiet little spot to take the family for a weekend picnic or a day of fishing. Silver Lake is one of the few area lakes that has a walleye season year around. Before the big Walleye opener on the Iowa Great Lakes, you will find Trappers Bay lined with fishing the entire length, trying to land a big walleye. Trappers has many fishing spots to choose from, however, on either side of the bridge usually produces the best fishing. Make sure to get there early, or you will likely not get an ideal spot in the early spring. Try casting a twister tail, ripple shad, or use a floating jig tipped with a minnow or leach. Good Luck!